Saturday, November 8, 2008

You Are My Star...


Dear readers,

This is my poem which I wrote for my Creative Writing class when I did my TESL in Shah Alam. I hope you'll like it. I had some references, of course, but to tell you the truth, the words are all mine.

The persona in my poem is a person who is feeling lonely. The person is away from family and friends. Longing to be home. Longing to engage in a conversation. To forget his loneliness, he decided to look at the night's sky, hoping to find solace.

The tone is quite melancholic.

I chose to write my poem with the stars as the metaphor because the stars are just magical. The fact that they are balls of fire makes it all the more interesting to me. They are so beautiful.
So, here is the poem and tell me what you think.


Stars

Looking out of the window at night,
I wish to see the stars sparkling brightly in sight,
As I sing for my broken heart.

Red, white, blue and green,
The stars on the heavens,
Like jewels of the night’s sky,
Soothing if one wishes to see it with compassionate eyes.

The stars,
In their thousands,
Flickering and glistening,
Rich with a myriad of colours,
Adorning the vastness of the galaxy.

Each night I wait,
For the stars to perform their charming magic,
Splashing colours on the black canvas of the midnight’s sky.

I patiently wait for them to blink,
As if they are dancing,
Looking at me and wink,
Mesmerizing.


Anizan Sulaiman

No comments: